Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Recipe: Crock pot pasta sauce with sausage, pepperoni, and homemade meatballs

Note: Updated January 25th 2018 to point to new meatball recipe

Oh my goodness! TWO recipes in one lunch time! I felt guilty; I had the base recipes in my gmail drafts folder for days (or longer for this one) so I decided to post them both today.

While I have never given out my recipe for homemade pasta sauce that I simmer on the stove, I will share this easier crock pot version which is certainly not lacking in taste! This sauce gets a good deal of its flavor from the meats and fresh basil.

Preparation time: 30 minutes (I can do it in 15-20!)

Cooking time in a 5 quart crock pot: low setting 5-6 hours, high setting 4-5 hours (sauce is done when sausage and pepperoni can be cut with a fork)

Serves 8 or more.... (keep leftover sauce in fridge for a week or freeze up to three months)

Ingredients

Sauce:
1/2 oz fresh basil
2 cans (28 ounces) tomato puree
2 tbs chopped garlic
1/4 tsp dried oregano
4 tbs olive oil

The meats:
1.25 pounds (5 links) sweet Italian sausage
2 packages (5 oz each) Hormel pepperoni (each contains 2 small sticks)

Meatballs:
Find my better updated meatball recipe here.

Preparation:
Spray the inside of the crock pot with PAM or equivalent olive oil spray. Pour in the two cans of tomato puree, and add garlic, basil, olive oil, and oregano. Stir and turn on crock pot on hi.

Cut pepperoni sticks into five or six pieces each and add to crock pot along with sausage links.

In a large bowl combine ground meat, breadcrumbs, egg, oil, water, basil, oregeno, and grated cheese. Mix well with hands until uniform in texture and appearance. Shape into 12 meatballs. Add to crock pot and cover.

Set heat to low if you prefer the longer cooking time. If cooking on high, once pot begins simmering, after an hour stir every hour. You can add an hour or two of cooking time by doing everything with the crock pot off and then turning it on low after adding the meatballs.

Serve sauce over your favorite pasta with the meats on the side.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chris:

This recipe sounds delish... It looks quite nutritious. I think I have a question about the line that says, “1.2 cup of finely grated Romano cheese”. Did you mean to say “1 half cup of finely grated Romano cheese”? Do you use 1.2 cups with the rest of the ingredients? Of course with food price inflation the way it is these days, I could just be reacting to a recipe made before eggs (jumbo) cost $2.50 a dozen (3 weeks ago).

Steve from NJ.

Blandishment Blog said...

Steve - I could have sworn I put 1/2 cup; when I get a chance I will go back and look at the post.

It is quite delicious!