Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Tuesday's Continued Snow

The Snow predicted yesterday began around lunch time and by 2 PM it was snowing hard. Scott was supposed to have an audition for the talent show after school, so I left work about 15 minutes early figuring he would either call me as I was almost home or shortly after I arrived there. That would decrease the time to pick him up. As the road conditions were deteriorating rapidly this seemed a good idea as I was having trouble getting traction in certain areas. I arrived home around the same time I would have had I left work in normal conditions, and awaited Scott's call.

A few minutes later I was looking out the front window and I saw the kid's bus drop off both Danielle and Scott; evidently the school had the common sense to cancel after school activities! I was most pleased as I was not looking forward to that trip out.

Tuesday is usually the night the parents whose week it is not gets the kids for dinner. The X was supposed to be by around 5 PM for this. She called and reported really bad road conditions, this in the large company truck she was driving. She was concerned about taking the kids somewhere and bringing them back, plus them getting in and out in the cold multiple times.

Suggestions?" she asked? "Pickup Chinese food from China Garden." said I. She liked this idea and said she would, and she would see us shortly. About 20 minutes later she called and talked to Danielle and said she was stuck in traffic on the approach from to my house. About 15 minutes later she called to tell me she was even with my street.

China Garden is about .7 miles down the road, two minutes max from my house if you catch the red traffic light. It was about 40 minutes before she arrived (and yes she had called ahead and the food was ready and waiting). She said the traffic and roads were terrible and I believed it watching the snow come down and the temperature was only in the teens.

Normally I am not overly impressed with China Garden; those who read here regularly know we prefer First Wok. I had never had the House Combination Lo-Mien from China Garden as I have tasted their Chicken variety which did nothing for me. The combo dish was excellent. About an 8 compared to a 9.9 from First Wok, but far, far better than I anticipated. The rest of the food tasted better than usual as well...a fluke or a new chef perhaps? I will have to test this theory the next time the kids want Chinese food in a hurry!

The X and I watched Supernatural from last week, she left, and the evening was spent with the usual TV watching and game playing, though at 9PM when the snow was almost tapered off I sent out and snow blowed so the kids could get tot he street int he morning for the school bus. There were drifts of a couple of feet in the driveway which made things fun even with the snow blower.

No comments: