Thursday, May 17, 2007

8 Weeks on the "Diet or Die!" Diet

I have been on my diet and exercise plan for 8 weeks as of today. I have lost 26 pounds so far!

I am exercising daily, most days twice. I do a workout on the exercise bike when I arrive home after work, and then a minimum of half that time 90 minutes or so after dinner. Some days I do the full workout twice. My full workout is up to 40 minutes right now, I could barely do 10 when I started.

It's been rough but I am sticking to it. It is not easy! But, it needs to be done.

I have become quite adept at cooking healthy meals and am staying within the constraints of my food plan which is

1600 calories a day (2000 on Sunday!)
60 grams max each meal of carbohydrates
2 snacks - max of 15 grams of carbohydrates
low fat
low sodium
NO caffeine (sob!)

Don't get me wrong, I have some excellent dinners, such as last night. I took two high-fiber low carbohydrate flat breads, half a pound of 92% lean ground beef, shredded lettuce, thinly sliced vine-ripened tomato, fat free Miracle Whip, and two slices of fat free cheese. I divided the meat in half, pressed out to very thin burgers, grilled them with the cheese melted on top, and I had two most awesome cheeseburger roll-ups for dinner.

Another good roll-up is to replace the meat and cheese of the above concoction and replace it with 8 slices of turkey bacon, 4 for each roll-up. It's like a BLT and most delicious! It MUST be Louis Rich (now sold by Oscar Mayer) turkey bacon, as all other brands I have tried have been like eating (or what I envision would be like) thin strips of leather!

Over the weekend I had a New York Strip Steak, with an ear of corn on the cob, and a nice heaping salad. It is just a lot more work in preparation and cost, to eat better. And, I need to be home to get this type of good food, it is just too much work to deal with this when eating out, though if I do I usually stick to steak and salad.

I usually spice the meats with dry rubs, usually somewhat spicy ones, even the turkey bacon gets a light sprinkling of Cajun Spice or Spicy Barbecue Red Monkey brand seasoning. The Steaks, a Montreal dry spice is usually used.

I had my last class yesterday of Diabetes Self Management, and overall it was an excellent investment in time to take this course. I learned so much about diabetes, and what I can and can't do to control it. It was very good.

We learned things like diabetes cannot be cured, there's better than a 50% chance anyone with it will end up on insulin shots, There's virtually a 100% chance that you will need oral medications, but, you can slide the amount of meds, when you have to use insulin, and any health problems and such to the right by taking better care of yourself.

Stress, unfortunately is bad for diabetes, so, I have the stress here at work, stress of some family issues, and the stress of having diabetes....but....I am trying to deal with it the best that I can by maintaining a positive attitude and realizing stressing out over things I can't change directly is not a good thing to do. Most of the times this works OK for me.....most times.

Most days I feel better overall then I did two months ago...some days I feel just as bad, like today, a rare day over the past week where I felt pretty good, where I feel pretty bad...but...I envision that as I lose more weight, I will feel better more often.

SO.....the adventure continues.....and...I will keep losing weight and eating healthy!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Chris,

I am very pleased you are doing so well on your diet. Your meals sound not only healthful but delicious!

- David