Thursday, October 05, 2006

What the heck is a blog??

I got an e-mail from a long time good friend of mine on the east coast. He too has gone through a divorce.....which is neither here nor there for this post, but, I feel a special bond with him as I do all divorced folks whose spouses have ripped their hearts still beating from their chests and held it in front of them with an expression on their face like the girl in the "Cold as Ice" music video ...... cough ....cough ......anyway...back to the story at hand!

In his e-mail he asked me what a blog is. I have always figured it for being my on-line log or diary, but, when I really thought about it I realized I did not know what blog really meant.

SO, thanks to the folks at Wikipedia (you can read the full, much more extensive article here) I know now that 1) I am not all knowing in computer Jargon, and 2) blog means the following:

A blog is a website where entries are made in journal style and displayed in a reverse chronological order.

Blogs often provide commentary or news on a particular subject, such as food, politics, or local news; some function as more personal online diaries. A typical blog combines text, images, and links to other blogs, web pages, and other media related to its topic. Most blogs are primarily textual although some focus on photographs (photoblog), videos (vlog), or audio (podcasting), and are part of a wider network of social media.

The term "blog" is a contaction of "Web log". "Blog" can also be used as a verb, meaning to maintain or add content to a blog.

No comments: