Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Food, Kids, Computers, TV, and Weather

Not much happened over the weekend; the weather was nice, we ended up grilling some Steaks on Sunday; Saturday I made three cheese and garlic herb tortellini with garlic and mushrooms for dinner; the X was working a show over the weekend so I invited her to stop in on her way home for a bowl of food. And good news, she's finally on the mend and seems to be mostly recovered. There was enough leftover so I gave her a bowl to take with her. She and I watched an episode of Dirt while we ate. After growing up with Courteney Cox Arquette in Friends and Family Ties it is so shocking to see her play the evil, scheming, and seemingly heartless lead character on Dirt!

Chris goes for his drug test today and then his first day of work is Monday. This is so exciting! If he does well and likes this company he could be working there after he graduates in three years. He'll be working 8AM to 5PM which means he'll need to get up fairly early since he needs to allow time to get to work. I hope he gets into the routine OK; he's used to staying up all night, going to bed in the AM, and getting up sometime in the mid-afternoon. Even when on campus he'll be up most of the night and grab a couple of hours sleep before classes; I don't know how he does it; ah to be young again!

Danielle appears to be making a bit of an effort to be on the Internet less and spend some more time with me watching TV and such; she still spends way too much time doing non-creative things. She barely uses the tablet and pen anymore that I got for her last birthday, but Scott uses it quite a bit so its not like it is going to waste. Danielle is still taking a lot of pictures, mostly of Tails and has captured some good shots.

Scott, sadly, is moving into his second week having insomnia again; he is worried about stuff that may happen over a year from now when friends go off to college and his loses touch with them. Hopefully he will sort this out and move on and do what I've been telling him, which is not worry about things that will never happen. I've also mentioned that good friends will keep in touch! Scott is such a good, sensitive, and talented young man; I hope he overcomes this as he gets older.

Tails is as cute as ever and has adopted my bed as a resting place when she wishes to be left alone; now that the weather is warming up I leave my room and the windows open and this allows a good flow through ventilation with the rear sliders opened.

Its been in the 70's since Sunday and will be through the end of the week though temps are expected to drop into 60's and possibly 50's over the weekend, though the weekend is forecast to be dry. We shall see.

I ordered AT&T's U-Verse fiber optic service last Friday. For a few dollars less that what I am paying now, I will have phone, TV, and Internet delivered over a fiber optic link, with more speed, channels, features, and even HD programming! If I add in the cost of what Dish Network would charge me add another savings of $20 each month!

Such geeky features too! Check out the U-Verse site here. I can't wait they come on the 30th! Its an all day install (6 to 8 hours). I spent some time cleaning my office and the utility room where they will have to work, though my office needs additional cleaning to get it beyond the embarrassingly dirty/disorganized stage that I would not want strangers to see. Weird how that works isn't it? My kids and others I know see it and it does not bother me at all!

The new Home Theater PC is now fully setup; I had four problems that took me a couple of weeks to solve 3 of, and the fourth is an issue with Microsoft Media Center; it's a know issue and from what I see on the Internet, Microsoft says the fault is with the video drivers I am using which makes it the video card vendors issue....and of course the video card vendor says it Microsoft's fault. I have logged tech support calls and we shall see what happens. I brought the box in for the old one, once I do a couple of minor things to that I can box it and sell it. Then the last pending computer job is to build one for the X wife; back before they changed the rules at work I obtained a decent desktop Pentium 4 machine which will certainly be better that her Pentium II PC she's been using for the past 8 years. I will have to load it and install it at her place.

4 comments:

Carrie said...

Well Chris, if you're going to be such an incredibly amazing ex-husband, I must insist that you give lessons. Your first student should be my X! Wanted to thank you for the pasta idea from your 4/7 post. Of course I cheated, and didn't quite follow your instructions (I was using only what I could find in our nearly bare cupboards), but I managed to piece together a suitable pasta lunch from scraps! Thanks!

Unknown said...

Chris,

It is exciting that you will soon have fiber optic service!

The new HTPC is exciting, as well.

You are as I am, in this regard. You are excited by the possession of new technology. That is understandable.

I am enjoying my new QNAP 209 Pro NAS. It is comforting knowing all is backed up each morning at 5 AM and mirrored for additional safety.

- David

Blandishment Blog said...

Carries - Thanks for the kind words and I'm glad you liked the recipe; I'll do the same thing when ingredients are sparse; sometimes it works for the better, other times it kitten food or the trash!

Brian and I were talking about my latest craze yesterday, breakfast-type rollups which I've been having for dinner. I think I'm about ready to blog a post on that. Brian is a great guy, and for his talking and your blog I must say you a very blessed to have such a wonderful family. I am glad for you all, and jealous at the same time! :)

X's are hard to deal with, you have the typical relationship where the X's barely talk because they hate each other, some where they are cordial enough, and mine, which I link to think of as a dysfunctional divorce! People freak out, people think I'm crazy....my X and I talk more than we used to when we were married.

Perhaps if we had started that years ago things would have turned up differently. I still love her in spite of everything.

ANYWAY....thanks for the post and take care!

Blandishment Blog said...

David - I am SO excited to be getting fiber optic service it makes me fearful of how geeky I may be! Pocket Protecter Geeky??? Oh my!

I am pleased your NAS unit is working out so well for you! Your reports of its abilities and performance and amazing; the only thing stopping me is the price tag!

Now that the HTPC is 99% completed I must really finish up work on the old one so it can be sold.

I also have to finish cleaning where AT&T will be working next week; my offcie still needs a lot or work to make it presentable!