Thursday, April 17, 2008

Monday Evening's bad news!

Note this was written Tuesday so adjust time references relative to then.

I arrived home last night to very visibly upset children who, after being calmed down told me of a terrible situation, our good friend, teacher, and companion, the satellite service was broken!! After the kids and I got over the shock of the receiver is stuck in a test loop I accessed the situation; it was dire! We could not even watch any of the recorded content)! I called Dish Network and after being disconnected twice after being on hold almost 20 minutes finally got someone who could speak, but strangely enough, not under English!

The first thing I did was inform them I ran the self test and the box was stuck in a test loop and would do nothing else no matter what buttons on the unit or the remote were depressed.

So, of course thing I am told to do is:

"OK, press the menu button on the remote so we can go to the main menu."

"Uh, I just told you nothing works the box is stuck in a test loop. It's error 502 which states the box will do nothing until the satellite feed into it is fixed.

"Now, sir, please, I just need you to go into the main menu so I can check a few things." was the reply........

No matter how patiently I described it quite a few times, that I couldn't 'go to the main menu BECAUSE THE BOX IS STUCK IN A TEST LOOP!! Yes, at this point I was raising my voice somewhat.....I wonder where they farm out their L1 support to.......

After a seemingly endless eternity of trying to get that across I asked for and was transferred to a supervisor who immediately says "Hmm, error 502 the box must be stuck in a test loop!" right after I gave him the error number.

After asking me why I was sobbing he scheduled the maintenance call. They can't have anyone come out until Thursday the 17th (whimper!) so I must work from home that day.

I got the typical 9AM to 5PM window.....I think the kids may be too addicted to TV....I found them sitting on the floor in front of it mesmerized by the test loop display, the younger one whispering to the older one "look, my favorite screen of the test loop is coming up!"! I noticed this not because I was sitting there watching with them you understand, but because I am a concerned parent and the house had gotten very quiet!(Gee, I wonder which screen of the test loop I'm missing right now!?!!???)

If you in any way enjoyed this post OR have had bad dealings with tech support, check out this older post entitled If there's no Internet this must be Wednesday!. It is both a horrifying yet amusing tale of my worst tech support experience that happened with my ISP back in 2006 (wow, have I really been blogging this long.....Chris Falco: Proudly boring the world for over two years now!)

Note my recanting of the the interaction with Dish support might be a bit embellished, but, it is atypical of support from large companies today. I was disconnected by their automated systems twice...and I was told to press the menu key after patiently explaining it would not respond to any commands......

L1 support by the way is the first level of tech support; most times these people are not technically oriented and thus paid less; they troubleshoot by rote utilizing scripts....which can be very frustrating to the more technical savvy customers.

2 comments:

Charlie said...

I phoned Dell many years ago about some server issues, and it was kinda like a daily thing, and having sat on hold for the techs for yes 3.5 hours.... 5.30 came the phone diverted elsewhere, and almost immediately it was answered and I was told "they have all gone home" .. after 3.5 hours on hold you're not patient any more.. and it was "but they were all on the phone 2 minutes ago".. anyway, I asked if he could take a message, he said no, I asked why not he said he didnt have their email..

All I truely remember is screaming at the guy something along the lines of are you so backwards you dont have pen, paper and legs?

:(

They dont bring out the best in people.

Blandishment Blog said...

Liz, sadly, tech support these days in a crapshoot at best! Almost all the bigger companies farm out at least the first tier and these people could not fix anything!