Wednesday, April 12, 2006

And lead me not into temptation.....

As I've mentioned money is tight now without getting any overtime pay. Basically that's a 30% reduction in salary for me. Between the mortgage, other bills, and child support...well...... I would do almost anything for more cash.....almost....

Tonight, as Danielle and I were partaking in the usual ritual of going to the store to get items for dinner, we hit the cash machine. The grocery store has a small branch of the bank there and we often use the ATM. I do not like to keep large amounts of cash on me for various reasons.

An elderly gentleman was just walking away from the machine as I stepped up to get my cash. To my surprise I saw that he had not ended his session and he had plenty of cash ready for withdrawal! Without giving it a second thought I immediately course cancelled out of this screen, ended his session, and snagged his card. I ran through the store after him and his wife (OK, they were elderly, not that far away, and I limped on my sore leg!). "Excuse me sir, but you did not end your session at the ATM. I did, and here is your ATM card!" Needless to say he was quite pleased as Danielle and I headed back to the ATM to do our transaction. I was tempted to say "Never fear, we left you bus fare so you could get your groceries home!" I contained myself however, happy in the fact that not only had I done a good deed, but if someone of less honest persuasion had walked up to the machine they could have at least gotten $500 from this person's account.

For the kids this evening I made chili-cheese dogs. I had some Healthy Choice kielbasi with some melted cheddar cheese and chili spooned over it. I, as Christopher did, added Tabasco sauce to my chili for extra spice. I of course, used more!

After a quick clean up we watched last Sunday's espidoes of "The Simpson's" and "The Family Guy". It is Wednesday, so, I have the kids until 8PM! yay!

The lawn service came and did the spring cleanup of the property today. I really hate having to pay others to do work for me, but, with my bad back I just can't be doing that type of work. At least I had the last of the tax money budgeted for that this summer! However, I can't help but think how nice it would be to have the extra money, Of course, on the opposite side of the coin they did a fantastic job for a very reasonable price.

4 comments:

Charlie said...

Good on you, like you the lack of overtime payment is going to mean a dent for me, thankfully not as big as you but while Im paying all the bills, so have 50% more outgoing right now, every bit counts.

In a way it wouldnt have taken much less of a good person to give in to that kind of temptation..

Id like to think I like you would have ended the session and run after him.. But like you that small voice inside would also have been slapping me round the ear saying "Ya nut! You just passed up on a good bit of cash" even if it only paid for your shopping for example..

Actually theres one thing worse here, our local tesco have a self service isle. Including payment.. only you dont need to enter a pin number or anything, so if you had taken the guys card you could have gone, paid all your shopping and handed it in at the till saying you found it outside... and he'd have paid for your shopping!!!

scares the crap out of me

Blandishment Blog said...

It is touch having to watch pennys, and have to deny the kids eating out anywhere near asmuch as they like too. I hear you on paying the bills, I do 100% here and a fair amount goes to the X's house.

Sigh!

Charlie said...

Dont get me wrong, if my other half had no job, I wouldnt mind, Id be keen he got a job and helped, but, thats how love goes.. However, he earns not much less than me (I actually do earn more right now) and yes.. it bites like hell coz I can still put some in my savings and he cant even pay his half... (my wages kinda split into 5 chunks, 2/5 goes on bills, 2/5 goes in my savings and 1/5 goes on food for the month etc.

Given he brings home 4/5 of what I do.... and my 2/5 is including his half the bills.. using the same chunks out of his 4/5ths in amount 3/5 should have been paying off his bills, now he needs all 4?? thats a lot of money... especially when hes been in his job a year, so arguably those 3/5ths should have paid off a good chunk by now.

(sorry for a rant)

Blandishment Blog said...

Chris is not saying that he was not tempted for a second! However, I was pleased to have done the right thing, particularly in front of my daughter.