Monday, December 24, 2007

Monday, that's my fun day

I arose this morning to about 6 inches of snow with assorted drifts. I released Tails from her room, gave her some quick cuddling and scratching, fed her, and journeyed outside to clear the snow. With People coming for dinner tomorrow I did not want to follow my usual drive over the snow to get to work and then clean the driveway later. That always makes ice where the car compresses the snow down so this morning's mission was to clear the driveway before departing.

I fed Tails, suited up, and went into the garage hoping I would not have another incident with the snow blower. It started on the first pull and I began clearing the driveway. I was pleased as it appeared I was not going to have another incident with the snow blower......or so I thought.

It had been very windy last night but it was not until I was outside that I saw just how windy; there was not a single snowflake on my roof! Not a one!! I had also heard on the news this morning before heading outside that there will still over 20,000 homes in the viewing area without power, some of them would not have it restored until after Christmas!

I was about 90% with the driveway and the sidewalk still needed to be cleared when the snow blower made a THUNK noise and died. I had been pushing it into some heavily packed snow and I thought it had stalled on that or perhaps torn the shear pins. I pulled it back and started it. Again it started on the first pull, I engaged the bladed and THUNK again it died.

I rolled it over to where I could see inside the chute by the light of the garage and wedged tightly inside and caught into the impeller was the local free garden newspaper which I had asked them to stop last year. For some reason they started delivering it again this year. I was most displeased the more I worked, I could not get the paper out, even with giant industrial sized lockjaw pliers. I uttered some phrases against this paper that were certainly not Christmasy!

Finality in desperation I got the pair of manual hedge clippers and chomped halfway down on the paper. Then I slowly began twisting as if I were twirling spaghetti. I saw the impeller move a bit and then the whole mess popped free!

One pull and the snow blower started again and I finished up and headed into work.

They say that bad things come in threes. I think I will have to get someone else to start the snow blower next time I need to use it!

I departed work around 1 PM and stopped at Forest Hills Food on the way home to pickup bread, chicken, and spices for tomorrow's dinner. IT WAS A MADHOUSE. Note a single space anywhere, even at the fringes of the lot or around back where no one ever parks. On the second circuit I found an outlying space and snagged it. Navigation through the store was like some insane video game, carts, old ladies, kids, skid movers everywhere! I lucked out at the crowded butcher counter by going all the way down by the far end where on of the clerks coming out took my order, I gathered the rest of my purchases, paid, and got the heck out of dodge!

No comments: