Friday, January 04, 2008

The Great Pre-Fab debaucle of 2007

I have several hundred DVDs that have been stored haphazardly in a prefab wooden bookshelf style cabinet, and stuffed into drawers and other shelves wherever I could find space. Last Saturday I began construction of two large wall units that I bought based on recommendation of my friend Brian. They look like this:



More detailed information on the DVD wall units can be found here. This project ran the whole weekend, and as shown below the place looked like a disaster area!


You can see the bookcase style unit that used to be crammed full of DVDs


I also built two chairs for Scott and Danielle to use on their computer workstations. I had bought some really cheap computer desk chairs which were falling apart, and since Office Depot was having the executive style chairs at 50% off, for less than $100 I was able to pickup 2. This is the same style chair I've had for about 4 years now and it is showing no signs of wear.

In the past I have simply used the floor to assemble prefab items, but, with my back and knees hurting more these days I opted to use my sturdy dinning room table, which made the experience I was dreading my easier and virtually pain free.

The DVD storage units were not too hard to build, though the second one had some issues, on of the trim panels would just not fit, even after loosening all the screws, so I had to cut off an 8th of an inch from one end if it, and another when getting it into place on of the plastic dowels snapped off and the other went too far into one of the holes. I ended up having to flip it upside down and glue it allowing it to dry overnight.


Click either messy image for a larger messier one


As I had the ladder out to work on the wall units I took the bad bulb out of the track lighting in the kitchen and with Scott in tow we hit Taco Bell for lunch stopping at Lowes for the bulb on the way home. Scott lucked into the taco Bell lunch as I had meant to go earlier after dropping Danielle off at a friends around noon, but I forgot the bad bulb which had a regular thread but was a smallish size. I almost forgot it again after I had pulled the Mustang out of the driveway I realized the bulb was still on the counter inside! Scott was quite amused by this! I suspect in his mind this lends credence to his statement of "You're old Dad!".

The light repaired it was time for the chairs; I moved he boxes over by the table. They were very easy to assemble. Scott helped me hang the DVD units on the wall; they employed an excellent bracket system where on piece goes on the wall and integrates with a matching piece on the unit. Easiest things I have ever hung on a wall in all my days. As I built these one after the other, we hung one Saturday evening before Scott left for a party at a friends house, and the other Sunday morning after he got up.

It is nice having all my DVDs easily accessible (no bending over or crouching down) out in the open. I also updated my database of DVDs something I had been putting off for the past couple of months.

No comments: