Friday, January 11, 2008

Wacky Weather/To Sleep Perchance to Dream

As I reported last Saturday January 5th, the weather had started to turn warmer. By Monday the temperature rose into the 60's which, for my neck of the woods in January is a very unusual occurrence. Needless to say, other than the huge piles of snow plowed up in larger parking lots, all the snow melted, and the aforementioned piles were substantially reduced in size.

I just could not believe how nice it was Monday; even though I was still sick I walked a few blocks around the neighborhood without a jacket, it was just wonderful! The heat in the house sat quiet for a few days as well, unless the month turns bitterly cold the gas bill should be a pleasant surprise in a few weeks.

By Tuesday of this week it had begun to cool down, and by Wednesday evening it settled in the 30's which is still above average.

Last night it rained heavily up until I retired, and we did have a couple of inches of snow by morning. Luckily it is above freezing so I am hoping this will melt off the driveway without manual removal as I am still not completely recovered evidenced by the fact I overslept by an entire hour this morning! I NEVER oversleep by more than a few minutes, I have always had an excellent 'built in alarm clock'.

Anyway, the weekend is upon us and I plan to enjoy some additional content on my new HD-DVD player. I will see if I can rent something suitable that Scott and Danielle would like as today kicks off my next week with the kids this evening. Typically on those Fridays we go out for dinner and I pickup a rental, be it movie and a video game, or just a game, or just a movie, and that starts the week at my house for them.

Speaking of Scott, please keep him in your prayers, he has had insomnia for almost 2 weeks now and is getting very little sleep. The X and I are most concerned about him. He has been to the doctor but they were of little help and recommended having him talk to a therapist. Scott claims there is nothing bothering him, and, evidenced by how open he has been in the past months about things I tend to believe him.

Even though Scott is 16, I'll 'baby' him this weekend, making foods and such I know he likes and letting him do things he really likes to do, even having noisy friends over if that's his wish.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Chris,

You are all in my prayers.

- David

Anonymous said...

Chris - Find another doctor fast. My bouts of insomnia are related to Manic-depression. Not saying that's what he has I'm not qualified. Just going to a family doctor did not produce this diagnosis. Ask him to shed the possible embarrassment and see a therapist. Or, if you can note any other small oddities research, research, research. Having Manic-depression means self-monitoring and took research on my part to deal with myself and with the doctors. Good luck and here's hoping it is just stress from those teen year hormones. Beverly

Blandishment Blog said...

Bev, thanks so very much for your concern!!

Scott slowly seems to be improving. I really think he is OK mentally, with him it is very easy to tell when something is bothering him; he is very forthright with "I don't want to talk to about it now". His mood last week, while subdued, was due to his fatigue, with the extra sleep over the weekend he perked up immensely enjoying time with the cat, working on his Flash creations, and spending time with myself and his sister.

Needless to say though if there is not continuous improvement further options will be explored.

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear there's improvement already. I get scared right away due to the reports of such high rates of suicide in teens. Of course, that is another reason NOT to rush into anti-depressants. Again so glad to hear he's better. Plain old stress, good or bad, has such bugger affects. Here's to all your good health. Hugs, Bev from PA