Friday, January 04, 2008

Late Christmas Present and Xbox 360 Dies!

This month marks the 2 year anniversary of the procurement of my Panasonic 50" HDTV. Other than the computer I have no true HD sources to connect to it. Dish Network does not offer my local channels in HD and Comcast is just freaking expensive.

While DVD's look very nice, particularly when compared to TV viewing, I still do not have an HD video source....but will next week.

I just ordered a Toshiba HD-A35 DVD player; with all the Amazon gift certificates I had it cost me about $150 out of pocket which is cheaper than the add on drive for the xbox-360 and you get 10 free HD-DVD's with it. A good compromise over the HD-XA2 and much cheaper on the out of pocket side.
Speaking of the xbox, ours died a few days ago with the dreaded "Red Ring of Death" symptom!


Bad News: Warranty expired two weeks ago
Good News: Microsoft has extended the warranty to three years for this issue only!

So, I have a call placed with them and am awaiting the prepaid UPS mailer to return it for replacement or repair which should not cost a cent! Whoo Hooo!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Chris,
Interesting, our son's X360 has been experiencing problems, mostly with not playing Guitar Hero which he got for Christmas. As it turns out (I had forgotten) we had purchased an extended warranty, so he's getting a new X360 Pro any day now.
I'm looking forward to more information about your new HD-DVD. I'm still debating what to do on that front.
David