Thursday, May 11, 2006

The Bermuda Cube

I recently changed locations at work. A cube had opened in the coveted row by the windows with a northern exposure...excellent for seeing outside and the sun never comes directly through the windows. I took a cube that was smaller than my previous one and it is well worth it. Even on a day like today (see post Water, Water, Evety where above this one) being able to see outside reduces stress and helps make crazy moments a bit less crazy. I miss my old cube-mates, but the three guys I am sitting by now who are in my department are a great bunch too. There is also less foot traffic by where I sit now and that is a plus too. It is much quieter which is a big plus.

Anyway on to the Bermuda aspect of this. I started moving into the new cube early last week carrying over a load of stuff from my previous cube (or chucking a load of stuff in the trash; I used this as an exercise to clean house a bit) every time I had a chance. By Wednesday I was ready to move one of my lower class systems I use for monitoring a farm of servers. I did so, and after connecting it up windows began acting strange. Slow, sluggish, and hanging. I finally had to remove the network card from the PC and use the on-board network adapter. Once I did that, it was fine. I was then able to take my lowest end system and move what software and data I needed onto this system so I could dispose of the other.

Thinking nothing odd about the issue with the PC network card by Thursday I was ready to pretty much take up full time occupancy in the cube a couple of days early (it was SO peaceful because my phone had not been moved yet!). I moved my main system and my other two ancillary systems. I powered up my main system, Windows started to load and than BAM a message stating NTLDR could not be found! It was time for me to head home so I sent an email to one of my friends in the Office Automation group asking if he could leave an XP SP2 CD for me so I could continue in the AM.

Arriving Friday morning trying to run XP repair was fruitless, the drive had crashed! A replacement was delivered to me within the hour along with a base image load of the OS. I spent Friday and part of Saturday customizing it for my use, and generally getting settled into my new location whilst getting other work done.

Two computer failures though from a simple move across a distance of now more than 50 yards.....made me wonder....to date though everything else has been fine in my new cube, including the view, but, alas, the phone was connected last Friday!

No comments: