Saturday, May 06, 2006

Your Pain Runs Deep

Distressing medical news earlier this week from two different family fronts has left me thinking of happier days from the past.....days of being a whole family...something I had...and let slip through my fingers like so many grains of sand....lost on the beach forever and indistinguishable and thus meaningless from all the other billions of grains sand around them....nothing to show it was ever part of anything greater.......sigh!

The picture above was taken on our last family vacation in 2004. A trip to Canada a few months after the kids had been told about the divorce (now there's a scene that will never be erased from my memory). We had booked the trip already and had our plane tickets. We were having lunch and Danielle drew the picture shown below, of a happy Mommy and Daddy....she was ever the optimist. Perhaps she is moving on at least! She has not broached the subject of Mommy and Daddy getting back together in awhile; this is good that kids are so resilient....adults often never forget pain and carry it far longer.

I remember the line from Star Trek V spoken by Sybok; "Your pain runs deep". Sybok had the answer...."Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing. "

Yes, I realize most days that many people have it much worse than I, but some days like today I am selfish and think of myself. Human nature I guess.

OK, that's enough! Most people do not want to hear of others problems and pain....though IMHO the world could be a much better place were that not the case.

No comments: