Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Mother's Day Dinner

For mothers Day I had the X-wife and her parents over for dinner.

Saturday night I made home-made pasta sauce with home-made meatballs. I also added pepperoni and chunks of boneless pork to the sauce which simmered for about five hours (the ONLY way to make a real pot of authentic Italian pasta sauce though you can get away with three if you do not include pepperoni, but the idea is for it to be 'fork tender' when server). I also had fresh basil in the pot along with some other spices.

I made garlic butter for garlic bread which turned out great! Soften a half a pound of butter, and add the pressed garlic from at least 6 buds of garlic. More or less to taste (I used about twice that much). Then add about a quarter teaspoon of dried oregano, the same amount of dried basil and twice as much dried parsley. Add a tablespoon of extra-virgin (I love that term 'extra' virgin) and blend well. Put it back in the original covered container and leave in fridge for 24 hours. This is enough for one monster loaf of bread or two smaller ones.

Sunday Morning I went out after I awoke and get three fresh loaves of Italian bread and right before dinner made two with the garlic butter and one margarine for the X's as Mom can't tolerate garlic. Heck, anyone eating a slice of this bread would be safe from vampires or mosquitoes for a month!

Danielle and I made a tray of double-chocolate brownies and frosted then with whipped chocolate frosting. Danielle then decorated this. This was served (with scoops of double-vanilla ice cream on the side) for dessert.

I made Rigatoni pasta and there was fresh Romano cheese to be grated over the pasta. Everyone loved the meal and their was enough for leftovers. Tonight in fact I will have two folks here who have traveled from the east coast join me for dinner.

No comments: