Tuesday, February 06, 2007

How cold is it in Michigan?

It's so cold that there have been reports of polar bears breaking into walk-in freezers at various warehouses, in an attempt to warm up!

Seriously though, I know it is colder elsewhere. For example I hear it is 40 below in Minnesota right now! Brrr! The 10 below we hit yesterday was cold enough for me and it is the coldest I have ever been outside! As to places where it is colder.....well, all I can say is, if you are crazy enough to live in an area like that, you must like cold weather and you are probably a member of the Polar Bear Club. The first question on their site's Q & A page sums up how I feel about swimming outside in the ocean or lakes in the dead of winter; "Are you folks nuts?".

Today I was greeted with temperatures far above yesterdays morning temperature of 8 below zero. It was a nice balmy 1 degree above! In spite of the warmer temperature the streets were even worse than yesterday, I found myself sliding more than I had yesterday on the ride to work even driving as slowly and carefully.

I did get to see light pillars this morning! As I turned out of my street and headed towards the first traffic light, I saw what looked like many searchlights trained on the sky. This turned out to be cars that were just below the intersection on a slight upwards angle pointing skyward. Evidently as the local TV station's weatherman's blog educated me, on rare occasions (usually when the temperature is colder than +10F), we get to see light pillars. Columns of light rise upward from a light on the ground. These columns are caused by tiny ice crystals/needles in the air. I had pretty much figured this out as I drove and could see the tiny crystals reflected in my headlights.

Here is a picture of this phenomena for your viewing pleasure. (Click on it to make it a bit bigger.)


This was a totally new experience for me; I love when you get to experience something new! In fact, I can hardly wait to experience warmer weather again!

Yesterday on the way home since the kids had the day off from school, I stopped at their Mom's house to pick them up as I have them for dinner. Monday as some of you may know is traditionally Quizno's. They have a special on Monday where you get three of their subs for a very decent price. It's the only night that they are affordable in my opinion!

It was about 3:45PM at this time and Quizno's is just down the street past the street my house is on. As it was cold and windy and the Mustang was having trouble going forward I announced "You're either all hungry enough to have Quizno's now, or, I'll be making cold cut sandwiches at dinner time because I am NOT taking the car out again tonight!" The kids unanimously agreed they wanted to eat now, so I bought them sandwiches (and they picked out a large bag of Doritos to have with them) and we headed back to my house. While they ate I made myself a sandwich using some of the cold cuts I had bought last Friday when the storm started.

Their Mom showed up around 6:30 PM and we all watched the Scrubs episode from last week which we had saved so she could see it. They departed shortly after 7.

The kids have off today from school today too, so I will stop at their Mom's and pick up Danielle as she has an orthodontist appointment. She will then stay at my house until her Mom picks her up on her way home around dinner time. I do NOT plan on venturing out again after Danielle and I get back if I do not have to!

Poor kids....today makes the fourth school closing day for bad weather, so, they now have one day to make up at the end of the school year.....they think nothing of that now.....But I predict they will sing a different tune at the end of the school year.

No comments: