Friday, May 16, 2008

Mother's Day (May 11)

I had written most of this on Mothers Day and finished it up last night. Adjust and day reference to last Sunday, May 11.

Friday Christopher came to visit. We had planned on dinner and then watching last week's and this week's episode of Doctor Who. I made a modified version of the BK Bacon Breakfast Wrap alternative, adding Turkey Sausage (thanks Brian for the suggestion) and some Jalapeno cheese. They were very good. As Chris started eating his I told him "You can go get the Mayo, I won't be offended" and that's just what he did. He enjoys Mayo on almost anything.

Time to watch TV, but alas! My AT&T DVR was not being cooperative; I've already had one service call on this and I ended up placing another one. We had tried to start up the recording of last week's Doctor Who it would not play anything and then froze. A reboot (multiple reboots) did not help (it finally came up but reported it had no hard disk installed) so I placed a tech support call. 20 minutes later I had an appointment for a tech to visit the house on Mother's Day. Chris and I watched Bender's Big Score, the first Futurama movie that followed up the series which had been cancelled two years ago. This was the third time seeing it and it was quite enjoyable.

Chris departed, and I ended up watching the current Doctor Who and Battlestar Galactica episodes off of live TV so I would not miss them.

A few more reboots and the DVR once again showed recorded content so I stayed up until about 2AM going through first run shows since I knew there was a strong chance the unit would be replaced Sunday.

Saturday I arose about 8:30 and over the course of the day did several loads of wash, cleaned the kitchen and dining room, worked on some issues on my computer (finally interfacing the dock for my Kodak Z1275 camera, and updating the bluetooth software for my bluetooth equipped USB hub), a session on the e-bike, web surfing, interacting with Tails, took a trip to Forest Hills Foods for some staple items (Salad Dressing and beverages for Sunday's dinner) and some cleaning supplies, and continuing the watching of recorded material on my DVR. I went to bed around 1AM. The cleaning tasks were because the X, her parents, and the kids were coming for Mother's Day. The dining room table was lots of fun, it has a tiled surface and the cracks between the tiles were, how should I put this delicately, less than clean.


Sunday I arose a bit after 8AM and headed down to Forest Hills Foods to acquire the perishable items for dinner. I lucked out and found 8 NY Strip steaks in two family packs. These family packs as I have mentioned before are a bargain when available and come in at almost half off buying the same item from the meat counter. I also shucked and bagged 8 gorgeous ears of corn, and bought onions and mushrooms, baked beans, apple sauce, and a cake (chocolate layer with creamed filling and Oreo cookies and crumbs on top) for dessert. Since apple juice was on same for 4 bottles for $5, I also picked those up since Scott drinks AJ as his primary beverage choice.

I headed back home, unloaded the car, and alternately spent some time on the PC, some time watching items on the DVR, doing some additional cleaning, repairing a wobbly leg on one of the dining room table's chairs, setting the dining room table for dinner, and an e-bike ride. Just as I was finishing this up and ready for a shower the AT&T tech called saying he was on his way. So, no shower for Chris (and I needed one!)

I took the steaks from the fridge and trimmed the fat off them and then put them to marinate in olive oil, chopped onion, black pepper, and just a bit of chili powder. Since the X's mom was coming and she is allergic to Garlic, I could not use my preferred Montreal Steak Seasoning. I put the steaks in the fridge and then make a nice salad which was covered with plastic and returned to the fridge.

It was almost an hour before the AT&T guy showed up, and Tails was fascinated by him, giving plenty of attention, rolling on his laptop, and following him anywhere he went in the house. I have never seen her so affectionate to a stranger and surmised he must be a good guy,

While Drew, the tech, was working the X and the three kids arrived, followed shortly by her parents. I saved her Dad a trip to the store when I overheard her asking about him getting her some coffee, by surprising them with all the materials needed to fulfill such a request.

Drew was having trouble getting the new DVR to function, and we delayed putting the steaks on for about 45 minutes until the DVR authorized and we verified all was working. He departed, the steaks were cooked (to perfection!) and we sat down to enjoy NY Strip steaks, salad, corn on the cob, baked beans, applesauce, and my own sauteed onions and mushrooms to use as steak toppings.

After dinner I discovered the DVR was not working right again, and left a message for Drew. Cards were given to the X and Mom, and various discussions between adults occurred, Danielle had her mom listening to music from her iPod; they each wore one of the ear buds, and the boys played video games.

Around 4 PM we sat down to desert which consisted of the cake I had bought, and a chocolate pudding cake grandma had thoughtfully provided.

The X had a customer to visit so everyone departed around 5PM.

Around 8PM Drew called me back, and I told him the DVR began working OK shortly after I left the message. He stopped by anyway to place a filter pack between the DVR and residential gateway as another tech had told him this often eliminated many spurious issues with the DVR. He also stressed I should call his direct line if I had other issues, since he and his manager could get tickets in quicker than calling tech support, and he was often in the area. Tails was right in her assessment of Drew, he is good people.

After Drew departed I enjoyed a long overdue shower and spent the remainder of the evening watching TV before an early bedtime of 10:30.

No comments: