Friday, May 09, 2008

The week in Review

It has been a long week and it along with last weekend, is all kind of blurred together at this point, so here's a summary I've been keeping during the week. It's a long rambling summary with bold titles for each section.


A visit to Damnation County
Over the weekend, the most notable point was picking Scott up Saturday night from a friends house in what I now like to call damnation county.

He and a gal pal were dropped off at the movies and I told him to call me by 10PM if he was going to be later. He had alluded to the fact he would not need a ride home. So, around 10:45 when I noticed I had not heard from him I rang his cell. Yes, of course he needed a ride, could I come and get him, no he had no idea where he was. So, a friend read off the address which I did not recognize and then I asked for the zip. As soon as the last 3 digits were read off, which were different from mine, I knew he was nowhere close by. I mapped it, called him back mentioning i was not pleased by the fact that he was two counties away, and headed out.

Fortunately I had the presence of mind to take the GPS with me. As I got further from home and entered areas I ad never driven though the GPS saved me as the turnoffs I had to make from the main road were in totally dark areas with signs that would not have been readable without a quartz halogen lantern! Street lighting was non-existent here.

So, thanks to the GPS I found the large culdesac with about 8 houses, none of which you could read the street numbers on, and called his cell again.

"What house are you in?" I asked. "I dunno"was the laconic reply. Is it a big house, what color is it, was it close to the connecting street or near the end? "I dunno" again came the reply.

Meanwhile, one of the houses had illuminated and people were looking out and pointing at the car. I called Scott back and told him to hurry, and soon a bit down the street the massive garage door (by far the biggest one of all the house), on the furthest house in, with by far the longest driveway opened. I queried him as to how he could not have noticed any of those unique features compared to the other house?

Wait for it.......

"I dunno" was the reply followed by a request to take two of his other friends home with us.......after dropping them off I mentioned how this had best not happen again stressing he needs permission to lave the county we live in let alone be two county's away.

With the price of gas being what it is I used up a whole weeks worth in one trip. Oh, did I mention it was also raining? That added even more joy to it......anyway, it least I now what what lies down the road from the driver training school, I tell you what!

The only other thing that stands out about the weekend was the steak dinner Sunday. Forest Hills food had some excellent Delmonico steaks int he family value packs and the corn on the con, unlike the previous weeks pitiful offering of tiny ears with tiny kernels, were large and sweet. We had a most excellent meal indeed with the steaks seasons with pepper, dried onion, and garlic.


Don't Bug Me
A humorous note the X stopped by to watch Supernatural which I download off the Internet, she screeched at one point as a small black spider was spied on the couch by her. She is powerless where spiders are concerned; so I jumped up and crashed it in an empty bag from some low carb crisps. I teased her and said it's not that big and then pretended to reach in and toss the dead bug at her. She screamed at the top of her lungs startling Scott, and making Danielle, who was in her room doing homework, come running! Scott and I though that was hilarious. At this point I inverted the bag so the dead bug was trapped underneath and then, pretended to show her the bug by saying "Look! It was not that big anyway!" and opening the bag right by her face. She launched upwards and the kids and I had another laugh.......teasing the X about spiders is a long standing tradition that has lasted longer than our marriage did!


Sick kids through the week
Scott and Daniele were sick Monday, so I worked in the office until lunch time and then worked from home the rest of the day. I made a large batch of homemade chicken soup for an early dinner with lots of chicken in it, which the kids really enjoyed.

Danielle went back to school Tuesday but Scott, suffering from dizziness and vertigo stayed home again so I did the same thing at work.

Wednesday, I was feeling like crap, but I drove the kids to school because while Scott was feeling somewhat better I did not want him to have to ride the buss. I returned home and did half a days work and napped half the day.

I picked Scott up at school a bit after 5 (he had swing, did not dance but wanted to be with his friends) and we stopped on the way home to pickup Chinese food for him and Danielle while I went into Forest Hills Foods to get some items to make wraps for myself.

Thursday I took Scott to the Doctor's because he was worse and stayed home again and was very dizzy. They checked him for mono, strep, and some other items and concluded that it is most likely viral, though they warned to keep a close watch on his temperature because these symptoms could be indicative of meningitis. One humorous note when Scott was being examines as she went down the list of symptoms she was querying him for she was using the stereoscope to listen to his heart and lungs and she queried him: "Cough?" and Scott did his best to do so; the doctor and I both enjoyed a laugh at this.,

Thursday evening we watched the last episode of Scrubs....a show we all enjoy which NBC in their infinite wisdom has chosen to cancel.

Friday Scott stayed home again, I made arrangements to pickup his weeks homework after school today and came home half a day surprising him with some Burger King for lunch. He had his usual chicken tenders, fries, and a vanilla shake which of course he dipped his chicken and fries into.


True Lies
Danielle boldly and blatantly lied to me the other day after school. Even after giving her an out she did not back down, and while I will not go into details other than to say she lost her computer privileges for the entire afternoon and evening, it was most disturbing and depressing. We have always taught the kids to stand tall and tell the truth even if it means they might get into some trouble. I explained this again and mentioned how sad I was. I also told her since she could not be truthful for the right reasons that next time the punishment would be doubled! The sad thing was it was not really any big thing to be lying about!


Lunch on the Roof
Another notable tidbit this week was taking my lunch break yesterday on the roof of my house. I set my work IM away message to

"Taking lunch on the roof of my house - YOU figure it out"

and I got my ladder out of the garage. it's one of the four piece kind you can make into shapes, such as a U for example. I set it as a single straight ladder which barely reached tot he peak of the garage roof and I ascended to the top so I could remove the LMB from the Dish Network dish. Along with the receivers which I had boxed up for return you have to send the LMB. So, with instructions, pliers, and a screwdriver in hand up I went. Precariously perched I managed to dismantle the LMB assembly and disconnect all three cables to it.

I climbed down and packed up the LMB and also scored for my parts bin three coax cable extensions and three 6 foot coax cables. After work from home was over for the day I drove over to The UPS Store and sent the equipment on its way back to Dish Network.

In closing, that about covers it. I hope Scott feels better soon and this is not something more serious than a viral infection. he has already fallen down several times this week while trying to walk, it is most distressing. I will be heading off to school a little later to pickup his weeks assignments so he has something to occupy his weekend!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Chris,

You and your family are in my prayers.

- David