Monday, February 27, 2006

KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR

The X-Wife had dropped of the HP Media Center PC of one of her many friends a couple of weeks ago, this weekend I started working on it; what a mess! The recovery partition off the hard disk would not boot, and at first the load from CD's to restore it kept dying. Using some utilities off the Ultimate Boot CD, a low-level format of the disk at least got it so the recovery partition could be built and booted off of, but, during the application restore phase the dreaded Blue Screen of Death happened....some research tells me this could be either hard disk, memory, or motherboard, so, today at lunch time I will burn a bootable CD with memtest86 and try and rule out the memory.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The joys of being in IT.. everyone assumes you will fix their computers..

Blandishment Blog said...

This is so true....though I generally cannot refuse people a favor or whatever help I can give! I can only imagine what it would have cost this person to take their PC to one of the soulless places like COMPUSA or Best Buy where they charge an incredible amount just to look at an ailing PC let alone fix it!