Friday, September 19, 2008

The Ramon Journals
Entry Number 3

This selection was labeled Japanese UFO Ramen Bowl Noodle soup
 
You can click the product name above to open an order page on the companies web site in a new browser window.

This is what started me down the entire Ramon trail.  Lili, my x-brother-in-law's wife, gave me one off these to try when we visited New Jersey at the end of August.  I brought it home and made it a week later and it was excellent.

This was the only Ramon sampled thus far that has the seasoning pouch in liquid form;  the rest were all powdered.  In addition, there is an optional pack of .....something....... that look like little tiny balls or seeds.  I added them as well.  The little bits of vegetable in the green variety (mostly cabbage I am thinking) were in with the dried noodles.

It was your typical preparation of peeling the lid back partially and filling to the line with boiling water, covering, and waiting five minutes.
 
Perhaps it is the liquid based seasonings on this, but, thus far having sampled all 8 varieties in the shipment I ordered, this one is my favorite though Entry Number One would be a close second!  The flavor is very rich and pronounced, and while following along with what I call traditional Ramon flavoring, though very rich and pronounced.  I will have to ask Lili what is in that second seasoning pack.....if anyone would know she will.

This item will be re-ordered!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So the best is from outer space. Interesting. I'll surely order some of these. What are the calorie and sodium content of these ramon noodles? Well I can just look on web site I suppose. This is fun.

Unknown said...

Chris,

It is excellent that you have done all the pre-tasting and saved us from the unsavory!

- David

Blandishment Blog said...

Bev - There is a lot of sodium in most Ramon...as in most soups. If I have Ramon for a meal I make sure to have little else with anything more than a bit of sodium in it.

David - It's a dirty job but someone has to do it!