Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Sun-Day (Or if its sunny it must be Wednesday)

The roads this morning were almost as bad as yesterday. Watching the news after I got up they were reporting that while not heavy, the traffic on one of the local highways was moving at 15 miles per hour because of the road conditions. Danielle tapped on my door to tell me what I already knew; their schools had a two hour delay. She headed off for bed and I departed.

I arrived at work without incident, and around 9AM a strange site greeted my eyes; IT WAS THE SUN! While the temps are int he 20's today the sky was blue and the sun was shinning! A glorious site indeed! As the day progressed some clouds rolled in but as of this posting around 4PM there is still some sun.

Hopefully this will promote some melting UNTIL THE SNOW THAT IS PREDICTED FOR TOMORROW!

Below is a picture shot out my front window; note the height of the snow in the street where it has been plowed. At work, which empties out onto a main road, the snow is so high you can't see on coming traffic! You have to be very careful getting out particularly because the roads are still slippery there.

Click for a larger version in a new window.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chris:

We got a bit of your weather yesterday and today: A few inches of snow overnight (56 accidents in Clifton alone) followed by 2.25 inches of rain. The roads that had been touched were full of slush.

Your ride to work sounds terrible. Tell me, when you're going down the interstate (80) and you go to pass someone doing 25 MPH in the center lane, does an 18-wheel truck 1 half mile behind you doing 65 MPH put on the high beams because you've crossed into "Their" lane?

Of course, with the ground frozen solid, the rain has nowhere to drain off to, except the garage and basement. (Going to clear it again in just a minute.)

I can't wait until Spring!

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I forgot to end the last comment with "Steve Fron NJ". I must be frost-bitten (or water-logged).

Unknown said...

Chris,

That photograph is great. It actually makes the snow look inviting!

- David

Blandishment Blog said...

Steve - I knew it was you without the second message!

Day to day here I rarely go on the interstates, but, you'd be surprised that driving out here is NOTHING like driving back east.

Yes, we have some idiots but overall it is much better.

Blandishment Blog said...

David - You and Laura would be welcome any time you cared to come out this way, whatever the season!

Glad you liked the picture.

Anonymous said...

Chris,
I like the picture. I agree with you, it's time for Spring. This is not the year to have 600ft. of driveway to clear!!

David M.

Blandishment Blog said...

David M. - Good to hear from you! Glad you like the picture, next time I am whinning to myself as I clear snow I will remember the length of your driveway and be humbled into silence!!

MORE snow is opredicted Sunday plus flurries today, and, it is overcast once again per the Michigan norm for winter!

Anonymous said...

Wow 600 ft. driveway!!! I was so glad to have a 21 year old here yesterday to clear drive. She's strong and cleared the 100ft. near by herself. My husband claimed the snow wasn't that heavy anyway. That made me want to have left the three inches of snow packed and waterlogged by several inches of rain for him:-) Your snow is so pretty. Of course, looks like a squirrel could raid that mail box. We've got the sun here for a day maybe. Hope the next storms aren't too bad -- because we get them next:-) Bev

Blandishment Blog said...

Bev - HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!

PS - The squirrels are using tiny snow cats and snowmobiles to get around these days!

Anonymous said...

Happy (belated) Valentine's Day to you, too. Hugs from PA

Blandishment Blog said...

Bev - Thanks Much!