Saturday, March 25, 2006

Fun at Work

The higher the stress at work, the more I answer some e-mails with a rhyme at the end. Earlier in the week we had a network issue which caused me to spout forth with the following short rhyme

If the network sees a NACK
it tires to send the packet back
if instead it sees an ACK
no need to send the packet back!

IPSEC is kind of wasteful
Extra bits, it's not real hasteful
IPX a pain it's true
to let Novell from down south through

bits and bits zeros and ones
network packet sniffings fun!
AD, NETBIOS, WINS, DNS
It seems the networks quite a mess

from here to there
from there to here
oh tell me is my packet near!
From reading this it's just not clear!
Perhaps received by late next year?


Today at the job, I am working on our high density Blade servers. This lets you put forty high end servers in a space roughly the size of a telephone booth. This cabinet has 7 rows across, five of which hold the servers and network switches, and two rows that hold redundant power supplies. SO that is 7 rows, and each one has a management module which I had to upgrade today, ONE at a time. It takes between 20 and 30 minutes to do this, so, to my boss I sent the following so he could share my joy:

Updating Blade Management Module firmware is like:

Watching someone watching paint dry
Watching grass grow (after planting 10 acres one seed at a time)
Watching them build ALL the great Pyramids
Watching one person cleaning the moss from between the stones of the
Great Wall of China
Waiting for the half-life of plutonium to pass
Counting the grains of sand in the Sahara dessert with tweezers
Jumping into a vat of honey and then teasing the bears
Waiting for backup to restore a large volume (inside joke)

No comments: