Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Random Ramblings

Stereo:
Yesterday after the Gas Company dude left I scrounged around in my parts bins in the garage and got the optical out on my PC's Sound Blaster card fed into one of the digital audio inputs on my Onkyo receiver. I then disabled the PC's DA conversion to let the superior circuitry in the Onkyo take over. FANTASTIC! If I thought MP3's sounded great before on the PC using the Onkyo's analog audio inputs it sounds much better now!

House:
No, not my house, but the show House on TV. My Daughter and I watched an episode yesterday after she got home from school. Her choice of having a snack (A pink Lady apple sliced with some peanut butter to dip it in) was not a good idea as this episodes has (as she put it) lots of gross stuff in it! We enjoy this show though and usually the episodes are not so bad that you can't eat while watching.

Kids:
I had a bit of a situation with my 14 year old Sunday morning as we were getting ready to head over to his mom's to drop him and his sister off. To make a long story short I asked him to do a simple thing and he flat out refused (and later told his Mom it was an understanding; if you call sitting on the floor and refusing to do what you were asked a misunderstanding, then, I guess I am at fault here). As I believe in the "for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction" philosophy, I told him not to ask for anything extra in the future if this was how he was going to behave.

I have often felt my kids have nowhere near the responsibility or chores that I (or the X for that matter) had growing up as kids. I remember on Saturdays not being able to go off and play with my friends until yard work and other fun chores were done and this was in addition to daily chores. Sunday's too often had these same restrictions. So, it made me sad that a simple request could not be fulfilled and he did not give his mom the correct story of what happened. It also makes me sad because this is the first time anything like this has happened between him and I and I fear it has opened a small rift between us. This pains me! While I understand this type of behavior is normal and expected as children mature, they do need to understand sometimes chores need to be done, and that their elders need to be obeyed.

I love my kids deeply and this episode, while seemingly simple, reminds me again kids grow up way to fast!

2 comments:

Charlie said...

Problem is if you dont ask him he never will.. I guess its easy to sit here and say did you ask him why he wouldnt do it and try and pretend like its that simple. However, it is a deffinate fact that if he finds he can throw a wobbly and never do stuff.. you'll see plenty more wobblys and less and less will happen.

Blandishment Blog said...

There is an incident with Scott from about 4 years ago I will not repeat here though it was the fit of all ages. So, I worry when he shows this type of attitude.

Scott and I are OK now, and his behavior has been better!