Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Pasta from Heaven

Due to the reasons detailed in Triple Bah! below I kept Danielle and Scott for dinner. Chris had stayed home sick from school and a quick call to him at his Mom's house confirmed he could handle making something from the freezer there. Danielle and I had already done our often daily ritual of going to Forest Hills Foods so I had meat, sauce ingredients, and cheese. I made a quick meaty pasta sauce (consisting of lean ground beef sauteed in extra-virgin (that phrase always makes me chuckle!) olive oil that already had garlic sauteed in it) along with basil and oregano, plus some freshly ground pepper.

I made some Dreamfileds Pasta and tossed some with the meat sauce for Danielle and I. For Scott, I thawed out a bag of meatless sauce from a batch I had made last year and tossed a portion of pasta for him with this; he hates meat in his sauce! All of us enjoyed freshly grated Romona cheese on top!

Note that when I make home-made sauce I usualy make a very large batch! When it has cooled to the warm stage, I pour 8 ounces into a sandwich-size ziplock bag and squeeze out the air and seal it. I then lay this down on the bottom of the freezer. I repeat until the excess sauce is depleted and I usually end up with anywhere from 8 to 12 bags of sauce in the freezer. When using them from the freezer I flex the bags in half which splits the block of frozen sauce, and then put them into whatever I need them in. It is excellent, economical, and saves me the horror of prepared sauce in a jar! (Though the Classico line of jarred sauces are tolerable)

Dinner was very good, and I sent a bowl home with the X since I had made extra knowing she would be hungry after the hospital trip. She too enjoyed it I discovered via an e-mail from her this morning.

No comments: