Sunday, March 05, 2006

It's a bird...It's a plane! It's Super Cookie!

Danielle and Scott arrived here Saturday around 9AM, and as posted yesterday I had arisen early to use assorted methods to heat the house. We watched some TV together, they alternated by playing downstairs in the family room. Scott headed over to his friend Taylor's house around 1:30 and around 2 PM the gas company arrived. Unlike the uncaring mechanical drones I had to deal with on the phone the gentleman that arrived was pleasant and cheerful despite the huge workload the gas company had him and the other repair folks under. He was quite a site in his orange outfit with workbooks and a beard, and in spite of myself I chuckled a bit. A wink of his eye and a twist of his head, soon gave me to know I had nothing to dread; He spoke not a word, but went straight to his work......OK enough of that!!!!!

Suffice it to say that quickly he had found the problem, a clogged sensor, and soon heat was issuing forth from the floor registers. I thanked him profusely as he was leaving and we chatted about unreasonable gas prices and that SOMEONE, not us, was making some money off this!

After the large pots of water on the stove cooled I dumped and washed them,. Now that the house was warm I enjoyed a shave and shower and Danielle and I spent most of the time together until around 4:30 when we headed off to collect Scott after we stopped at an ATM for some cash. Since Scott's friend Taylor lives right by our favorite Chinese restaurant we stopped in and had our usual.

On of the things we had really missed when the five of us moved out here in 2000 from the east coast was good Chinese food. Frankly, most of the places out here were TERRIBLE! We finally stumbled across the FirstWok on Old 28th street after many disappointing Chinese dining experiences! We still have not found any place out here that serves our favorite appetizer which is Cold Noodles with Sesame Sauce! Sigh! I must remember to ask my friend Steve back east if he still has a recipe for this! (Steve, if you read this post, send it along! Hint! Hint!)

We frequent this establishment enough that the owner knows me by name and we were quickly seated. Starting with appetizers we had an order of bali-bali beef which is marinated strips of tender beef, along with an order of fried dumplings with their accompanying sauces. We also received a free order of crab puffs and I ordered a bowl of their Hot Spicy Wantons. The Wanton's helped cleared my head and for the first time I could breathe in and out quite easiy!

For dinner there was chicken lo-mien (no vegetables) for S&D, combo lo-mien for me, and combo fried rice for Danielle and I to share. The kids drank diet Pepsi and I enjoyed a pot of their excellent tea! It was an excellent meal, and after packing up the left-overs (and watching Scott make "Super Cookie" which is half a fortune cooking with a fortune sticking out of it like a cape, we headed off to the video store and picked up Zathura to watch. Arriving home Chirstopher showed up and he and I watched an older Battlestar Galactica he had not seen, then Danielle joined us to finish an A-Team episode we had started Friday, and Chris and I watched Stargate Atlantis. He departed for gaming fun and Scott and Danielle returned to watch Zathura which was better than I thought it would be, but, I am glad I did not expend the $$$ to take them to see it in the theater.

It should be noted from talking to Scott late last night on the whereabouts of Super Cookie, that the sugar-based hero was evidently pulverised by a meteor in the video rental parking lot!

2 comments:

Charlie said...

Chinese food rocks, its not so hard to make some of your own. A fave food of mine (when hubby isnt around) boil some rice, get a couple of cloves of garlic ready, and some mixed fine herbs.. Chop a couple of breasts of chicken, you then marinade in chilli and honey for a few minutes (much longer and all the water comes out the chicken and then its a bit ewwy, anyway, then, tip in a frying pan (no oil) and mush around till its cooked, wont take long, by then the rice is as good as done, strain it, use a garlic presser to put the garlic in and a *lot* of herbs. Mix.

Put the rice out and put the chicken on top. Tastes divine, and very chinesey.

Blandishment Blog said...

Liz, that sounds excellent I shall have to try it!

What herbs are in your herb mixture?

Thanks Much!